The 113th Tennessee General Assembly began on Tuesday, January 10, 2023.
This year we are pursuing initiatives to:
- Advocate for reproductive justice and defend against any new abortion restrictions,
- Eliminate fees and fines imposed on families with youth in the justice system,
- Support re-enfranchisement of the 470,000 voting-age Tennesseans who lost their right to vote because of felony convictions,
- Defend against bans and restrictions on drag performances,
- Oppose restrictions on health care access for trans Tennesseans – especially trans youth.
ACLU-TN’s Legislative Session Priority Issue Areas
- Criminal Legal Reform
- Freedom of Speech
- Reproductive Freedom
- Trans Justice
- Voting Rights
We also anticipate working to defeat dangerous legislation that harms immigrants and refugees, undermines racial justice, bans books and otherwise restricts freedom of speech, and discriminates against LGBTQ individuals and religious minorities.
ACLU of Tennessee’s Bills to Watch
As the session progresses and additional legislation is filed, we will post more specific details on bills we are monitoring and lobbying here.
To learn how you can get involved in the fight to protect and expand civil liberties and civil rights join our Action Alert Email List.
To learn more about contacting your elected officials visit Lobbying 101.
To take actions on pending bills visit our Legislative Action Center.